- 2008-12-22: Initial version 1.0 released
- 2009-05-22: v1.1
- 2010-07-22: v1.2
- 2011-02-22: v1.3
- 2011-08-22: v1.4
- 2012-01-22: v1.5
userChromeJS allows complete chrome customization when an
extension is excessive.
userChromeJS is derived from the original userChrome.js by zeniko. An import function has been added to enable greater flexibility in absolute/relative file management, along with some overlay tweaks. Thanks to zeniko for the original idea; the bug to implement this functionality in core Mozilla is Bug 332529.
userChromeJS v1.5 (Gecko 2.0, Fx4.0+ and Tb3.3+ and Sm2.1+)
userChromeJS v1.2 (Fx3.0-Fx3.6 and Tb3.0-Tb3.1)
Platform: All OSs.
Applications: Firefox 3.0 and higher, Thunderbird 3.0 beta and higher, any Gecko 1.9.0 and higher toolkit application. Older applications should use userChrome.js 0.8.
- An extension is not required for small code snippet tweaks or even larger UI modifications.
- An import function lets script and overlay files be organized and shared among profiles and even made portable.
- No known problems.
- Loading multiple overlays is hit or miss.
an overlay must finish before another can be called, otherwise neither
is successful. setTimout() values are used internally to minimize this
problem but there is no guarantee; overlay cdata (if any) needs to consider
overlay completions. See the FAQ for a workaround,
NOTE: the log message does not strictly mean an overlay has completed, but rather that the overlay merge of the given file has been invoked.
NOTE: a proper fix would implement an observer and serialization, but it's better if the core bug is fixed..
There are only a few console error message strings; localizations welcome.
Support and Questions:
- Fix: scope fix for charSet.
- Fix: add updateURL in install.rdf.
- Fix: add unpack=true in install.rdf so that a seed userChrome.js may be created from the template.
- New: default charSet is now UTF-8.
- New: allow user settable charSet for files loaded using the import or importFolder functions. See the README.txt in the FAQ.
- New: add SeaMonkey 2.1 support.
- Fix: change manifest xpcom registration to support Thunderbird.
- Update: compatibility with Gecko 2.0 (Fx4) xpcom registration changes.
- Fix: handle shortcut constants, when sometimes defined sometimes not.
- Doc: see the README.txt in the FAQ for info on userChromeJS console logging features.
- New: initial release.